Pages

Tuesday 28 March 2017

Meatless Monday

Meatless Monday is a concept that initially didn't go down so well in our house. Until I started experimenting with Mexican quinoa bowls. It's super easy after a busy day and very nutritious. And who doesn't love a dish that requires only one pan?

Lexi loves making this dinner with me because she can get involved. She loves measuring and pouring, making this a really kid-cook friendly recipe.

There are a few staples that I keep in the pantry / freezer that are handy for this recipe. Firstly, I always have quinoa. I find it handy at lunch time when I have no idea what to make.

I prefer not to use tinned food and so I occasionally cook up a big batch of black beans and freeze them. If I'm really lucky (which is often the case) my Mom has already cooked them and I get some :)

Another item that we have come to rely heavily on is our homemade taco seasoning. I choose to make my own so that I can avoid the harmful ingredients that lurk in regular spices. You can find my recipe here. For obvious reasons, I have adapted the recipe to make it kid friendly. Making it is a great math activity for kids. Lexi loves measuring out the ingredients and shaking them up.



So here it is! (For an easy printable recipe click here)

You'll need:

1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup black beans (defrosted or tinned)
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen according to your preference)
A glug of olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons taco seasoning (adjust according to taste and you're family's tolerance for hot food)

Heat the olive oil in your pan (a large skillet works best) and cook the garlic over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add all the other ingredients and let simmer until the quinoa is cooked (approximately 30 minutes).

Keep an eye on the pan and add water if necessary.

Top with grated cheddar and serve with sliced avo / guacamole, sour cream, cilantro or whatever you fancy.

Happy eating!
Candice & Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment