Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2016

We harvested our potatoes

Aren't they beautiful?! They tasted good too



This was our first crop of potatoes and our yield was pretty pathetic, which is why I am so excited about the few that we did harvest.

We grew ours in simple black grow bags from our local garden centre. They weren't easy to harvest and were quite an eyesore. I've been exploring options for the next lot.


These bags are a lot prettier and Mike has some great tips on his blog.



This makes harvesting a lot easier.


Or if you're handy you can make a cage (click here for a video tutorial). If you're lazy, you can simply use a washing basket.

Here's what I have learnt about growing potatoes in containers:

Keep topping up the container with compost
Water, water, water! (Ours almost didn't make it through the intensely hot summer we've had)
Start with good seed potatoes (I got mine from Living Seeds)
Planting at the right time of the year is critical (duh!)

Here's to a great crop next year :) In the meantime I will keep on adding ideas to my Pinterest board.
Let me know what has worked for you.

Happy planting!
Candice & Lexi





No comments:

Post a Comment