Pages

Friday 8 April 2016

What on earth is Sharon fruit?

We were browsing in the vegetable shop yesterday when Lexi was offered a sample taste of Sharon fruit. I was kinda perplexed because I thought I had a broad knowledge of fruit and vegetables, but I'd never heard of Sharon fruit. Turns out, it's a persimmon (Chinese apple) and there was no way we were going home without a bag. It was love at first taste for Lexi.

Aren't they pretty?

These little gems, while high in sugar, are packed with vitamins and the health benefits are amazing....

  • Persimmons contain twice as much fibre as apples
  • They are rich in calcium, iron and magnesium
  • They are great for relieving an upset tummy
  • Persimmon tannins effectively slows subcutaneous bleeding making them great for treating bruises
  • They are known to protect the body from flu by developing resistance against viral infection

Lexi's favourite mini fruit kebabs

I had no idea what to look for when buying them, so I went with my usual rule of thumb and chose those with taut, glossy skin and no bruises. They were a little firm but ripen quickly at room temperature. Ripe fruit should be stored in the fridge.

Please share your persimmon recipes! I'd love to know how everyone enjoys them.

Happy eating!
Candice & Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment